Live, Laugh, Love...CRAFT!!!
Life's Too Short for Housework!!!



I am so pleased you found your way to visit me...I do hope you see something that makes you smile.



My Fab Followers and Blogging Friends

Friday 19 August 2011

Vintage Style at MPS

Good Evening (or it may well be Good Morning by the time this post gets published as it's close to midnight here!)

I have spent a bit of time over the past couple of weeks having a go at distressing techniques and the vintage look in my cardmaking, and have realised I have a lot to learn!! I googled it and watched numerous videos on You Tube, and my first creation rivalled Frankenstein in HIS creation of a monster if I'm honest...quite gruesome!! It's actually one of my DT cards for an upcoming challenge, so look out for it, you WON'T miss it I can promise you that!

Today I have made another 2 cards, and I must say, I AM improving, especially since I don't have any special tools, (or even any proper distress inks for that matter!) I've used some grotty old ink pads that have seen better days and the blade of my scissors to do the distressing....here's card number 3:


I guess it's hard to see how I've distressed the edges of the DPs and card-mats in the pics, but I really did go to town with the scissors!!!

I made this card with a few challenges in mind, in particular Michelle Perkett Studios who are having a VINTAGE theme this week, AND are also giving away this wonderful image I've used for the card as a FREEBIE too!

I followed the sketch from this week's Cupcake Craft Challenge (see below.)
My DPs are digital, called a Touch of Elegance, and were purchased from ScrapBookingMad. I printed the 'Believe' senti straight onto the DP and coloured the image with Promarkers.

 It is mounted using double layered foam pads for a real 3D effect. I cut some flourishes and added white flat-backed pearls (I always think pearls are kinda 'vintage.')


Some of my fave black gingham ribbon to one of the panels, and added a small Tibetan silver charm using jump-rings to complete.  


I also made my card with the following challenges in mind:

Thanks for looking! I'll be back tomorrow with an update on our little Lonzo!

25 comments:

Joey said...

Hiya, fabulous card and gorgeous colour choice, thanks for joining us at pollycraft. Joey xx

Michelle said...

OMG.....what an adorable card!!! You are doing fab at the distressing and the colors are great! Thanks for joining us this week at Designed 2 Delight-hope to see you back soon!!

Unknown said...

You did a fabulous job!! I love it. The sketch looks great with the vintage look. Glad you joined us at MPS. Shelley

Anonymous said...

Excellent card, Ali! Wonderful details and distressing. I love the ribbon and charm. Thank you for joining the vintage theme challenge at Michelle Perkett Studio. Have a great weekend!

Laura said...

Awww that's soooo cute! I couldn't even tell you didn't have distress inks (I just have 1 also but most of the times I just use regular ink pads...they do the job! I think distress inks are more fun to use -and unique- when you spray them with water... otherwise they're just regular ink pads).
Totally love thet cute dress! And the whole feel of this card... very girly without falling into the "pink and fluffy" :).

Thanks so much for playing with us for our very first challenge. Good luck and I hope to see you again :)



Hugs,
~Laura
Lia Stampz DT

melsanford said...

Beautiful card! Gorgeous colours and fab distressing :-) Thankyou for joining us at Dream Valley! Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

Jenn Borjeson said...

Yup, your card is totally gorgeous, as always! :) Thanks for joining us at MPS! xo

Sazzle said...

I think you did a great job - we are always our own worst enemies and critics aren't we?

Thanks for sharing this with us over at Lia Stampz for our first challenge and we hope to see you for the next one which starts on the 29th - good luck :-)

xx Happy crafting and glittery hugz xx

Sazzle

http://sazzlecraft.blogspot.com/

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

This is a fabulous card, love the distressing, I'm also using different inks and scissors for distressing, unstitch tools are also great :)

Many thanks for playing with us at Cupcake Craft Challenges on this special week!

Hugs
Maarit

Donna said...

Such a beautiful card Ali, perfect choice of design papers and added detail! Thank you for playing along with Cupcake on our special birthday week :) Donna x

Hazel said...

It's great, and beautiful colours. Thanks for joining us at OSAAT this week. Hazel x

Faye said...

This is a really cool card. I love the striking colour combo and the sweet image. Thanks so much for joining in the birthday fun at Cupcake this week. x

MagsB said...

I really like this card! The colours are lovely, and so is the image! Very nice!! Thanks for joining in at Dream Valley Challenges!

luv, Mags x

Deb said...

Beautiful creation, love your swirls and charm, thanks so much for joining our 'anything goes' challenge this week at One Stitch at a Time--Have a great weekend
Debs
xxx

Cely said...

That dress is soooo stinkin cute! Love it! Thanks for joining Lia Stampz charm challenge!

~Cely
Lia Stampz DT

Peggysue said...

Oops, I'm a bit late with my comment, but I'm here now, lol. I love what you did with MP's image. Its a great design (even if you followed a sketch). I’m so glad you joined our Pink & Black challenge at Designed2Delight. Please come back again next week!

Made by Mandy said...

Love the soft colours you have used and that digi is an amazing gift isn't it. To be honest, for paper distressing I don't think you can beat a pair of scissors and I use a nearly dry small inkpad for the edges so don't think you need the expensive gear (not that I am an expert by any stretch of the word, just do things on a tight budget!!)

Many thanks for joining in with our Anything Goes challenge over at OSAAT

Mandy (DT member for OSAAT)

Kathy said...

So feminine and pretty. The gingham, charm, swirly corners and pearls are all lovely touches. Thanks for joining us at D2D this week.

Sharon said...

This is beautiful - love the colours you have chosen! Thanks for joining the MPS Challenge this week.

Dawn said...

Lovely as ever Ali! You do such a good job with Michelle's Images!
Almost got round to this one myself! Ah well, maybe next time!
Hugs
D xx

Ellis said...

Fabulous card Ali, thanks for joining us at MPS this week! =)
Hugs, Elenor

Ashley said...

I love, love, LOVE this card!!! The colors are gorgeous, the charm is perfect, and I especially like the dress you chose. Thanks for joining us at Lia Stampz!

~Ashley
Lia Stampz DT member

Georgia Ehrmann said...

Lovely card with that cute dress form! I love how you have used what you have on hand for distressing. Thank you so much for joining us for our first challenge at Lia Stampz and good luck!
Hugs,
Georgia
Lia Stampz DT

Heather Huggins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather Huggins said...

Super cute. Cool colors! Thanks for playing this week.

Hugs,
Heather
Lia Stampz DT